Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Homesickness

Our family's photo.

  
   Last week, August 8th , would have been my brother Bill's 70th birthday.  I was weepy all day, as I remembered him and my parents.  That evening the Holy Spirit reminded me how Momma said to me just weeks before her home-going that she missed Bill so much.  She had buried her husband, both of her parents, her sister, and then her first-born child. Several times, Momma told me that she missed them all, but she missed her son the worse.  I've never had to bury a child, but it must be the hardest thing a parent would have to do.

     That evening as I was missing Momma and was crying, the Holy Spirit impressed upon me that this horrible, homesick way I am missing her and Daddy is how Momma was missing Bill, her husband, her parents and her sister.  I realized that the way I am hurting into the very core of my being had to have been so much worse for her and I know in my heart of hearts I don't want her to feel that way.  And as I began to thank the Lord for taking that hurt from her, my hurt began to ease.  

     My family and friends keep reminding me of the good life and the time I had with Momma, and that I have so much to be grateful for.  I truly am grateful for all of it and I am honestly trying to focus on being grateful and thankful for the blessing of her life and my being allowed to care for Momma. But most of the time, that gets lost in my grief and hurt.

     And it's not really hurt so much now, but such a deep longing, a painful homesickness for her and Daddy.  I know there is no cure for homesickness other than going home.  But this homesickness is not for a place but for the people I love -- so this is a sickness that nothing can cure, because I can't call them to hear their voice or go visit them to be with them.

     I remind myself daily that Momma walked the walk before us to show us the way, and now she walks with Jesus.  I am still being blessed by her life and her love.  I need to keep reminding myself of that because it helps me thru the darkest times.
 
Shared in love,

Chris  






4 comments:

  1. Chris,

    What a blessing to read the caregiver journey blog. As i continue to give care and attention to my mama needs, i am reminded of ALL that encompasses and somewhat overwhelming at times. But I pray for guidance in making decisions for her since processing info, etc is something mama cannot do anymore. One day i will wear your shoes that you have walked in many years caring for your sweet momma. Thanks my friend for all the encouragement! God Bless You for the gift of caring and encouragement!

    Love u

    Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Ellen, It is so encouraging and humbling to know that the Lord is using what I am going thru. I pray for you and your Momma and know that you will never regret anything you sacrifice or do for her now. It is our privilege.

      Please keep us in your prayers,

      Love ya! Chris

      Delete
  2. Thank you for continuing to share how your caregiving ministry affects you, even after your mom has gone home to be with the Lord. What a blessing to know that we will one day be "home" with all those we love who are in Christ, never to be parted again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracey for your encouragement. I know I've started letting the Lord heal my brokenness, but I have so far to go. Please continue to pray for us and know I am praying for you. Chris

      Delete

I would love to hear your story or your comments.